Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New Beginnings...

I woke up today (in the figurative sense) and realised I was losing that thread of light. I looked into my baby son's eyes and saw this magnificent bright light that grew in intensity everytime he discovered a simple thing. I remembered that light, I remembered it well from childhood, where dreams were built in lounge room tents made from sheets, when excitement burned at a days new adventure, when the whole universe was the only space large enough to hold all of your dreams and wishes.
I realised that in the slow burn of day to day life, my light, my unique, simple but bright light was slowly fading. And I wondered...when did I begin to forget that beauty was in the most simple of day to day moments, when did I begin to forget that beauty wasn't found in childhood because it naturally existed but because my eyes naturally existed to find it.
When did I begin to think of people in columns and categories, because I was sure I had done my best to make sure no lines were ever drawn, and yet in my conversations and summations, lines were clearly now penciled in.
People think that we spend our lives trying to become better people than we started...and now I realise we really should be spending our lives trying to become as good as we started. As we did as children, as good as children can be. Because as the years grow it seems to me that I am improving in some of the ephemeral things of life and I am only clinging as much as I can onto the love that filled me as a child, the beauty and ability to see everyone with a eye of faith, that in them the greatest goodness in the world can be found.
It came to me as I watched my son, as I saw that light and for a moment the remembrance flickered, I felt the beauty of that light in it's naturalness, not in my forcing it. And I realised that I, who was given to raise him, in fact wanted to be like him.
It is not that we are not happy in life, we are! It is that in the day to day running of life we begin to forget to stop and marvel at the miracle of a simple grain of sand. In all it's beauty. In all it's potential. In all that it can teach us.
And so with high aspirations in mind, I intend to find something beautiful, something that feels warm, of something that reminds of our best selves and write about it, hopefully each day. And I hope that in turn it reminds anyone who stumbles upon it to stop and see the miracles in all the world, to be more loving to one another and stop trying to be everything at once and to just simply let the goodness that is within each of us simply overwhelm us, so that maybe each day we can feel that warmth and perhaps even pass it onto another...and so it goes...
And that I dedicate this very first post to my beautiful son, for whom my heart bursts each day and whose simple astonishment and wonderment has each day made me smile and made me want to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment